Wednesday, February 02, 2011

a new month and simplehomeschool

so we're getting back in the swing of things around here ...or trying to, at least. our travels are done. my hubby's classes are done. january is done. (really??)

i'm trying to get back into the routine of the food shopping, the homeschooling, the cleaning (*insert tongue in cheek*), and the life we have in the community here. it's not going super smoothly. i'm blaming the cold. it makes me feel better about myself.

today i just wanted to share a blog post i read this morning from simplehomeschool. if you're a homeschooling family and this blog isn't part of your regular blog stalking, it definitely should be. i've really been enjoying their series "a day in the life," where lots of moms are sharing what homeschooling looks like in their homes and daily lives. today's post was, by far, my favorite. this mom's day was rough, frustrating, and far from structured. but it was real and honest, and who really ever has a perfectly structured day, homeschooling or not?

When you have littles in the house, training them is the priority.

that spoke volumes to me. it's not the end of the world if you don't get through the "u" worksheet because of a whiney attitude (*ahem* like our monday). with littles, the whiney attitude just may be the best lesson you could cover that day, and it lays the groundwork for your future schooling endeavors, no matter what form of schooling your child is participating in.

so all that to say is, go check out lora lynn's homeschool day in the life (with a 2, 3, 5, and two 6-year-olds).

tell me how you liked it!

2 comments:

Joy for the Seasons said...

I have been enjoying that series! And on this side of the world, we fight attitude issues in big kids too. Hang in there, the character training is definitely the priority and I have no doubt you are doing a great job (even if there is no immediate evidence!!).

Jennifer Castro said...

Loved the post and enjoyed your blog as well. My 3yo is often the focus of my day. The next time I find myself having to constantly redirect her, remembering that moments like these are happening in homeschools everywhere will help.